[Koha] What the use of websites table in Koha 2.0?

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Mon Aug 16 14:50:36 NZST 2004

Hi

> Actually, I was wondering if you folks at Katipo had done a separate project
> with website cataloguing. My last contract cataloguing was for a
> federally-funded health library service here and they went to the trouble of
> contracting for an online cataloguing system, only finding out about Koha once
> it was nearly ready (and hence too late).

Yes we've done projects before Koha cataloguing websites and various other
resources - sort of baby libraries.

> I'm not quite sure what you meant by "cataloguing URL's as separate items". One
> can have various kinds of hyperlinks within a MARC record for different
> purposes.
>
> With MARC -- which predated Katipo's work on website cataloguing by a number of
> years -- one can catalogue various types of media, including websites. Is that
> what you would mean by "as a separate item"?

Ah - no I meant that we (katipo)  did the work on cataloguing websites before
the  full MARC support was put into Koha (by Paul).  I'm not sure how much you
know about the history of Koha - but basically in the first  version the MARC
support was fairly rudementry -  while you could import MARC into it just fine,
it didn't store the MARC records in their native format, and there weren't the
tools for mapping between the Koha and MARC fields.

Most of Katipo's work is with organisations which *aren't* using MARC, so I
would think that you would map your MARC URL fields to the Koha Website fields,
but I'm not entirely sure about that.

The "display" pages tend to use the Koha fields rather than going straight to
the MARC I believe, so if you want to display the URLS "prettily" then you'll
need them in the Koha database bit as well as the MARC database.  This is
particlarly for people who don't actually want to use MARC at all - and don't
want to see it.

I hope that makes sense - if you're planning on just using MARC for your
display and searching then I would imagine you can just ignore that table

> Maybe you/others could check out the LC info on it (URL
> <http://http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdhold.html#mrcb856> to see if
> it provides for everything you intended/would need. It seems to me it's another
> instance for "tidying up" otherwise.

Hopefully my more detailed explanation makes a bit more sense - I know it can
be
 hard to believe but there are some libraries who *don't* use MARC :-)

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
MANAGING DIRECTOR               Ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz                 New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org