[Koha] just a few questions

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Fri Aug 13 09:34:58 NZST 2004

Hi Jose

> My new questions are about to understand what the Thesaurus and Authorised
> values are, What it really change if i modify them or add new thing in here
> (i'll check out the newbie guide).

I think that Thesaurus and Authorised values are two different things, although
they are related.

If you put words into the authorised values file (Authority File), then they
become a list of approved words for that field.  For example you would put a
list of subject words into a subject authority file, so that when a new book is
catalogued, if the cataloger spelt a word incorrectly, then it wouldn't be
found in the authority file, and so they would be prompted to check it, or
choose from the list of approved words.

The thesaurus is slightly different, because I think it records relationships
between words.  For example

Refuse = Rubbish

So a see also function - I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on
that.

> Other thing, what is the Unido and css part
> for Intranet and OPAC respectively. I can tell they are other themes for the
> interface...

Yes, the templates for UNIDO are included in the release as they were the first
ones we did with nicer templates and CSS.  They do display different fields,
and are for use only with libraries that aren't wanting to display MARC.

You can see them in action at
https://www.unido.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl

To see if they are for you.

> Oh!   another thing that calls my attention is in the additem-nomarc.pl page
> HERE YOU HAVE TWO COLUMNS, THE LEFT ONE SAYS 'BIBLIO RECORD' AND THE SECOND 'ADD
> NEW ITEM' BUT NEXT TO THE LEFT ONE  IT'S A COLUMN VERY THIN THAT GOES ALL THE
> WAY DOWN AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE NO FUNCTION. WHAT IS THIS?

It is a "spacer" to make space between the main columns.

That template was writen 5 years ago, and so is very old fashioned - it was
written for Netscape 4, and so uses tables for the layout.

> Ok that's all for now, thnks for all the support.

You're welcome, I look forward to hearing how your project is progressing

Cheers
Rachel

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
MANAGING DIRECTOR               Ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz                 New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org