[Koha] importing, marc mapping, progress

Scott Scriven koha-main at toykeeper.net
Sun Aug 8 16:11:49 NZST 2004

* Steven F. Baljkas <baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> > It seems to work during searches, but is never displayed.  Is
> > this a template problem?
>
> This is one of the things I was concerned about: how Koha
> handles the data from MARC records. Stephen, Joshua, other
> cognoscenti: is Scott's problem here because of a mapping
> error? something that needs to be defined in MARC parameters?

I've noticed a few other fields now which are not displayed.
Some of them show up in Koha's marc view of a record, but others
don't even show there.  I can get them to display by going
through the marc structure and setting the tab option, though.
Most are set to "ignore" by default, but I think I'd prefer to
just set each Nxx tag to use tab N.

BTW, modifying the template slightly allowed me to display a bit
more info, such as the series title.  I'm still trying to get the
subtitle and additional authors to work, among others.  (subtitle
doesn't show up, and only the first additional author is shown)
I'd like to dump the rest of the marc data onto the book display
page, too, but I haven't done so yet.

> 1. I'm not 100% certain what you meant by "bibliographic data about
> authors", Scott.

I suppose I'll have to implement an "author detail" page and
appropriate database storage for it.  The detail I'm looking for
is probably not appropriate in a marc record.

> 2. "... short book review blurbs ..."
>
> That's easily a 520 $a, first indicator "1"  (Review).

I see that now, mapped already to biblio.abstract.  However, it
is marked as non-repeatable.  Is it safe to change that?

> On another note (pardon pun), someone was asking me recently
> whether, if you did a search for a particular work, say by
> title, whether the author (and other, e.g. subject, possibly
> title, fields) would come up in Koha as 'hyperlinked', if there
> were other works by that author. This is something that Voyager
> does and it is very handy for patrons and staff alike.

Koha seems to do this somewhat already, but I hope to extend it
to more fields.

> 9. " ... quotes from books/authors/series ..."
>
> I can't quite see the point of going this far, Scott, but you could handle
> it through 500, 520 (if from the book) or 5xx notes, or even by an 856
> linking to quotation pages.

I see it as similar to why imdb.com includes quotes, reviews, and
even discussion about their movie listings.  It helps the viewer
decide if the data is valuable or interesting.  It may be better
to just link to external sites for this info, though.  I could
work out something for amazon or iblist or similar.

> 10. "and a few others."
>
> If you want to write in with the rest, or send them to me off
> listserv, I'll be glad to tackle them, Scott.

I'm unsure how to handle subtitles.  I'm not sure how Koha's
"title" and "unititle" differ.  It sounds like one would list the
full title, and the other would do the same without "the" and
such prepended.  Is there a way to map biblio.title to 245a + 245b?

Also, part numbers are a bit confusing.  If I have book 3 in a
series, should that be a 245n field, 440v, 440n, or something
else?  The series title seems to be 440a.

BTW, thank you very much for all the help!  It would take me
forever to learn all the intricacies of marc's thousand tags.  :)

-- Scott