[Koha] mysql to postgresql

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Jul 7 21:29:14 NZST 2004

Mandi! Christian Calle
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I am migrating the BD mysq Koha to Postgresql, I want to saver if somebody
> had that experience,
> I am beginning to modify the copy that I did of the SQL of mysql.  To load
> to poststoneware and to modify the access of the DBI with the Perl.

I've also thinked about porting koha to postgres, and AFAIK it is
planned in some future release... the problem are not on perl side,
where dbi do an exellent work, but on schema and SQL dialects.

MySQL accept rather all identifier for field and table name, where
postgres are more clever and define as reserved all the SQL92
identifier (as standard say) and some more.
So, it is needed to change the schema, because there's no way to create
a field name ``user'' or ``desc'' in postgres, for example...

The second big problem came again from the bad adherence of mysql to
the SQL standards: MySQL accept rather all SQL syntiax (sometime
ignoring it ;) but have some custom instructions like... mumble... i
don't remember, could be ADD? In any case, an instruction that alter a
record, if present, or insert if not.

So i think that porting koha to postgres will be a very cool feature,
but expect to:

1) alter the schema
2) alter some sql instruction (for 1)
3) alter the code to substitute a non-standard sql instruction with
  some standard ones, plus some code.

Good luck. ;)

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

    ... votantoniovotantoniovotantoniovotantoniovotantoniovotantonio ...
	     resistenza arcobaleno contro la politica grigia

		    http://www.peacelink.it/votantonio