[Koha] no individual item number

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 26 11:22:26 NZST 2004

Friday, June 25, 2004    18:15 CDT

Hi, Mike,

> I have loaded my marc records. I get no item count?

That's bizarre.

> my marc record input shows multiple 852 tags when
> there is more than one copy of a book. [...]

That makes sense. It is possible to use the 852 to append holdings for
multiple copies whether within one library or lending institution or within
a network of partnered institutions.

> btw  I do get a biblio number and the biblio number is
> unique to an individual title even with multiple
> copies of the individual title.

That would be because the system, as Chris C. explained to me more than once
(thanks Chris :-) ) stores the information for the individual titles once;
you don't need multiple copies of all that data, just a way of
distinguishing the different copies from one and other for lending purposes.

Hopefully, someone will get back to you on the question of item counting (I
thought that this had come up before, though, and had been answered with a
MySQL script posted by one of the programmers). This is important as
administrators often put great stock in knowing the numbers of items in
holdings (even and over above actual use of those items).

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte