[Koha] Koha questions on MARC setup

Harvey Lee ev340 at ncf.ca
Tue May 4 05:32:01 NZST 2004

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Concerning your response on question 2d below (splitting subfields of same tag
onto different tab pages), the reason I was thinking of doing this is actually related to
my question 4 in my original email.

What I wanted to do was to create a "call number" which combines several fields
from the biblio and biblioitem records (i.e., title, dewey, author). I wanted to have this
"call number" in the items record, so I figured that this needed to share the same
mapped tag as the other items fields that are on tab page 10.  As well, I was thinking that I
would need to fill this field manually, so I wanted this particular field on the same tab
page that the other fields (title, dewey, author) was located on (which will make it easier
to cut and paste data from the other fields into this "call number" field). In order for this
method to work though, I realized that there were a lot of assumptions I was making on how
Koha operates.

However, this weekend, I found another solution to this problem. I've added some code
into additems.pl that, whenever a new item is to be created, will automatically pull the
title, dewey and author info from the database and pre-populate the "call number" field
to be displayed with the rest of the fields of the "New Item" form. But in order for me to do
this, I needed another MARC subfield under tag 952 for this "call number" field. All of the
currently defined subfields that I see in Koha are already mapped to other items fields.
So what I did was create an additional field "call number" in the items table in mysql,
as well as create an additional (arbitrary) subfield 952 $f in the marc_subfield_structure
to map this to. Can you tell me if I broke any MARC rules by defining a new subfield
this way? In other words, is tag 952 fully user-specified such that I can define my own
subfields within this tag?

I'm realizing that this question may be more suitable for the koha-devel list, but I haven't
been able to access that list for the past couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Harvey