[Koha] Newbie question - possible to include dummy 'records' as templates?

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Mon Apr 19 02:09:31 NZST 2004

Steven, I don't think dummy records would work.  But maybe I'm not
understanding the original question.

I think what we are talking about here is the ability to display certain
tags and subfields when cataloging a book, a different set when cataloging
a video, yet another set when cataloging an audiobook, etc. -- right?  And
you mentioned the General Material Designation (GMD) as a way to define
these broad categories.

(And BTW, please ignore my previous wandering thoughts about item types --
that's a different issue altogether, something that's defined locally.
What  we're talking about here are global "item types," which I'm going to
call "categories" in this e-mail to avoid confusion.)

I don't find a handy list of authorized GMD's (is there one?), but the
MARC21 discussion on tag 008
(http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbd008s.html) mentions seven
categories of materials: Books, Computer files, Maps, Music, Continuing
resources, Visual materials and Mixed materials.

Now, what gets displayed on Koha's cataloging page is controlled by the
"tab" column in marc_subfield_structure.  If a tag|subfield is _not_ to be
displayed, then the value stored in "tab" should be -1.  (Positive number
values of tab, starting with 0, control which browser 'tab' the
tag|subfield will appear in.)

So if I want to be sure to display the 245|h tag|subfield when cataloging
"Visual materials," but I don't want to see it when cataloging "Books,"
then I would want the value of "tab.marc_subfield_structure" to be -1 when
cataloging books, but some positive number (maybe 1) when cataloging
visual materials.

If you create dummy records, all you really could have is a suggestion of
which fields to fill in, and which can be ignored.  For example, your
dummy record for books could say "ignore this" in the 245|h tag|subfield,
while your dummy record for visual materials could say "be sure to put
something here" instead.  (And hope the cataloger remembers to take these
notes out before saving the record!)  But either way, 245|h is going to be
displayed, because you're going to have a positive number in the "tab"
column for 245|h (because you're going to need it for sure for some of
your records).

That's why I say the only way I can think of (right now) to display
different templates for different material categories would be to have
different marc_subfield_structure tables for each category.  So for
instance, if your choose to catalog a videotape, Koha would consult the
"visual_marc_subfield_structure" table to determine which tag|subfields to
display.

And then, of course, there's the whole issue of different versions of
MARC...ugh!  (gone to get some aspirin)

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges