[Koha] 2.0 roadmap, was: uninstalling

Roger Horne roger at hrothgar.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 04:35:22 NZST 2004

On Thu 15 Apr, paul POULAIN wrote:
> MJ Ray a écrit :
>
> >> And while I am grumbling, I do think that Koha gives the impression in
> >> some respects of being amateurish and unfinished. (I know that one
> >> should
> >> not look a gift horse in the mouth but ...)
> >
> > Well, it's a .0 release and I don't think we're any worse than most
> > software I've had to deal with. Feel free to gaze and tell me just
> > which teeth look rotten. The challenge for me is whether I can do well
> > enough with the next releases to polish 2.0.x into something which
> > seems better and learn things so that 2.2.0 is better. I'm just
> > writing my "roadmap". Keywords: free software, accessable,
> > interoperable, portable, usable, stable.
>
> /me just want to add that Koha is something very complex : it needs
> technical habilities AND librarian habilities.
> It has to be a lot tweaked before showing it's power. The tweaking is
> mandatory : without it, you would think that it does not fit exactly
> your needs.

Well is it all that complicated? The main problem is the lack of
documentation. I am a reasonable amateur perl programmer but i wouldn't have
a clue where to start looking for any of the problems that I have found.
Recently I was playing around with a totally different program (involving
Court filing) and the writers had provided a program flow diagram which
enabled me to modify, or tweak, the scripts in various ways.
http://www.court-tech.org/incounter/documentation.php

Roger
--
Roger Horne, 11 New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3QB
mailto:roger at hrothgar.co.uk
http://www.hrothgar.co.uk/