[Koha] 2.0 roadmap, was: uninstalling

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Apr 16 03:28:20 NZST 2004

MJ Ray a écrit :

>> And while I am grumbling, I do think that Koha gives the impression in
>> some respects of being amateurish and unfinished. (I know that one
>> should
>> not look a gift horse in the mouth but ...)
>
> Well, it's a .0 release and I don't think we're any worse than most
> software I've had to deal with. Feel free to gaze and tell me just
> which teeth look rotten. The challenge for me is whether I can do well
> enough with the next releases to polish 2.0.x into something which
> seems better and learn things so that 2.2.0 is better. I'm just
> writing my "roadmap". Keywords: free software, accessable,
> interoperable, portable, usable, stable.

/me just want to add that Koha is something very complex : it needs
technical habilities AND librarian habilities.
It has to be a lot tweaked before showing it's power. The tweaking is
mandatory : without it, you would think that it does not fit exactly
your needs.

> 2.0 DRAFT ROADMAP
> -----------------
>
> June - replace systems that are really desirable (backport MARC
> searching from 2.1? has z*daemon really been fixed? is anyone working
> on the biblio entry screens in 2.1?); remove broken parts (is full
> acquisitions really broken or just buggy?); make sure second wave of
> docs (end-user help) are up-to-date; release.

the z3950-daemon works in a real library since 3+ weeks in 2 of my
libraries (Sorbonne & Chambery). No problems here.
TJ Kotula sends me today some informations about the daemon loosing
forks when he enters a lot of servers (>14 !!!). He sends me a
suggestion to solve it (works for him).

I'm working a lot on HEAD branch to :
* clean some code
* css the templates.
* improve MARC searching & merge MARC & simple search.
The search is almost done. It could be ported to 2.0 probably, but it's
not a trivial job, as it uses CSS & some other things that does not
exist in 2.0 DB (like "seealso" field in MARC parameters)

> Anyone know where the koha wiki went?

Works fine for me ? (allthough a little slow)

--
Paul POULAIN