[Koha] Z39.50client won't give up searching

Edward M. Corrado ecorrado at athena.rider.edu
Tue Jan 6 04:13:48 NZDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, MJ Ray wrote:

> On 2004-01-05 14:29:47 +0000 paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > * automatically : I think in processqueue, we could use startdate to
> > calculate an expiry date : a request must not last more than 2
> > minuts. Maybe
> > even less.
>
> One reason I was given for the daemon method was the long time that
> z39.50 searches can take. If we impose a 2 minute limit, there seems
> little reason not to use traditional CGI scripts. Maybe you meant some
> longer limit, like 20 minutes.
>
> How long will librarians actually wait for search results?

20 minutes seems like an awful long time to me (but then again I am
not a cataloger). Maybe instead of hard coding it in, the length of time
could be a variable that each easily site could customize if they
wish. I'd probably like to test (or hear from people who actually catalog
a lot of records) to see how long it should go on for, but somewhere
between two and five minutes seems like a reasonable default to me.

Ed C.