[Koha] Going completely on-line with Koha

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Wed Dec 3 05:35:54 NZDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, David M. Bucknell wrote:

> Dear Pat,
>
> Thank you for answering re. acquisition repots. Apparently, our library would
> like to have reports the last 24 hours, the last week, the month and perhaps the
> year. Possible?

It would be fairly easy to do.  I think you've got a couple of options at
this point:  you can wait for them to show up (sometime after 2.0.0 is
released), you could have someone on your staff write them, or you could
try to entice someone to write them for you.  I'd like to take a minute to
talk about the last idea, because I think it's some low hanging fruit that
we often overlook.

Most of the time when we think about enticing someone to write code for
us, we think of spending big $$$s and hiring a programmer.  The free
software community opens your options up though.  Here are some
alternatives:

 - Contact a local high school/community college/university and see if
   you can't work out a project with an instructor and student (or team of
   students).  In fact, this doesn't just need to be a local school.
   There are at least three Universities hanging out on this mailing list,
   perhaps one of them has a student or three who'd be interested in a
   task like this.

 - See if there's a local Linux/Unix/Perl users group.  Maybe you can work
   out a deal for meeting space/pizza (or the local equivalent)/publicity
   in return for some light programming work.

 - Talk to city, county, provincial, state, etc. governemnt or NGOs about
   what you're doing and why.  They may have some resources to help.  The
   city of Amparo in Brazil translated Koha into Portuguese for use in
   their local library, Finland is putting money into an effort to
   localize Koha for use there.

 - Look to other libraries to team up with. It may be that the very things
   you want are things another library wants as well.  What may be an
   unsurmountable list for a single library could be quite doable by a
   group of three or five or ten.

I'm sure that someone will pop up with a couple of more low cost/no cost
means of 'hiring' out the work.  (Hmmm, how about naming rights for PAC
terminals -- naah, that's just a bit too silly.)

Anyway, I think your request is valid.  I know other libraries are looking
for similar stuff.  I don't think we'll see it until after 2.0.0 unless
someone decides to put a quick package together outside the normal
distribution.  If anybody does do this *please* share it with the wider
community so that it can be incorporated into 2.0.1.

thanks,
-pate