[Koha] [BUG] barcode mandatory or not ?

Stephen Hedges shedges at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Sat Sep 27 04:06:04 NZST 2003

Paul asks:

> The question is : what is the good behaviour ?
> * barcode IS mandatory => manage this in checker,
> the tools that checks
> that your DB is correctly parametered.
> * barcode IS NOT mandatory => change non-MARC
> part of Koha to accept
> empty barcodes.

At NPL, we have in the past used our catalog to store pieces of information
that were not physical items, like names and addresses of local social
agencies, and websites (before we had Koha).  That would allow people to search
for something like "poverty" and get hits not only on books about poverty, but
websites about poverty and the names of local agencies that deal with poverty.

If the catalog is used to store information that does not relate to a physical
item, then the barcode should not be mandatory.  However, I think the templates
for adding and editing items should then be set to return a warning, in case
someone mistakenly enters a physical item without a barcode.

Stephen Hedges
Nelsonville Public Library