[Koha] Very small library, low-end hardware

Rich Churcher rmch at xtra.co.nz
Sat Sep 6 14:06:37 NZST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 01:04, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> > I suspect that starting up perl, and making database connections are 2 of
> > the bottlenecks.
>
> Oh yes.  Even MySQL takes a significant time to setup a database
> connection compared to the rest of the perl script.

Remembering I'm coming in cold on this, but--is there any benefit to be
had from using persistant db connections?  Just curious.

Regarding the Apache dependency issue, it seems that one might be able
to achieve a loose coupling to the server (ie. have mod_perl as an
option, rather than a requirement).  Though I suppose that splits the
development effort somewhat.  Once again, an entirely uninformed
comment!

Been writing to a few people describing the sort of hardware we need for
the school project, no nibbles yet.  Phil, any and all help gratefully
received, maybe once I scrape a server together we can swap notes on the
setup.

Olwen, I'd actually read that obituary before; I played some chess for
awhile there and it came up on a web search.  Your father sounds like an
interesting man, an 'enthusiast'.  My nieces and nephews went to
Corstorphine school, and my brother looks after their small Windows LAN,
so there's a bit of a family connection for me too.

--
Cheers,
Rich.