[Koha] Very small library, low-end hardware

Olwen Williams olwen at ihug.co.nz
Thu Sep 4 21:14:06 NZST 2003

I have located my A/Rev extract from Catalist.  Have to remember how to
get into Catalist and use it.  The Horowhenua  conversion was the last
time I used A/Rev. although my day-to-day work is in MvBase which is
linguistically similar.

Where is the school?  I extolled the virtues of koha to a contact who
volunteers with a school library in rural Marlborough.  If you are
within a day's drive of Blenheim I'll come and help with the
conversion.  Otherwise I'll can take the data and run the extracts.

Rich Churcher wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:54, Larry Stamm wrote:
>

>>My testing box at home is a 266Mhz AMD K-2 with 160Mb RAM.
>>While I wouldn't exactly call it speedy, it serves up most
>>pages in less than a second with a database of 14,000 +
>>entries to search through.
>>

>The school does have a 700 MHz PC, but I doubt they'd want to install
>Linux on it, and I don't trust Windows + Apache.  Their library
>computers are apparently 100 MHz, which is probably pushing it.  I'm
>sure there must be somewhere around here that's selling cheap
>second-hand or ex-office equipment that might donate some of it to a
>good cause.
>
>My preferred distribution is Gentoo, which can achieve quite a minimal
>console install when asked, though I've yet to try it on a low-end
>system.  I know someone with a spare 266 MHz box, I might do a trial
>install and see how it goes.  There's always Knoppix :o)
>
>The conversion from Catalist sounds promising.  I would appreciate any
>and all information people are able to give me regarding this, scripts
>via private mail if possible.  Thanks so much for all your input... this
>should be an interesting experiment.  Looks like I might have to take
>the time to learn Perl (where's my camel book?)
>
>--
>Cheers,
>Rich.

Olwen Williams