[Koha] Very small library, low-end hardware

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Sep 4 16:08:58 NZST 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:54:39PM -0700, Larry Stamm said:
> paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> writes:
>
>     > Rich Churcher wrote:
>     >> 1. What is the absolute, barest minimum hardware you would
>     >> consider installing Koha on, given that the database is not
>     >> likely to be very large?
>     >>
>     > I've installed Koha on a Celeron 600, with 192MB RAM & 20GB HD.
>     > (server & client). The librarian finds it too slow. It's a problem
>     > with Perl compiling i think.  I tried on a 350MHz PC (server
>     > only). It's unuseable : 5 seconds for every page, minimum.
>
> My testing box at home is a 266Mhz AMD K-2 with 160Mb RAM.  While I
> wouldn't exactly call it speedy, it serves up most pages in less than a
> second with a database of 14,000 + entries to search through.
>
> In console mode using a text only browser, it's fast enough to use for
> real work.
>
> But I agree that perl seems to be the slowest link in the query chain.
> I've played around some with writing gawk scripts to query the MySQL
> database and it seems to return the results much faster than perl does.
> I've no idea why though.

Yep, I think to get some real speed increases, we'd need to look into
mod_perl and Apache::DBI to get some connection pooling.
I suspect that starting up perl, and making database connections are 2 of
the bottlenecks.
But once we get 2.0 out, we can do some work with the profiler tools and spot
any bottlenecks and fix them.

Chris

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz