[Koha] Please Clarify My Understanding of Data Upgrade Process

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Sep 3 22:01:22 NZST 2003

Robert Maynord wrote:

> Dear Koha Folks:
>
> Our Library is preparing for the upgrade from 1.2.3 to 2.0.  I have
> 2.0-pre installed on a separate machine, with koha 2.0-pre up and
> running - no data.  Our 1.2.3 machine is still operative, but the
> Z3950 tool has stopped working.  Our data is safe, and I have made a
> backup of it using the mysql tool.  My hope is to transfer the data
> from the 1.2.3 machine to the new koha 2.0 machine.  However, I
> understand that the two formats are not the same, 2.0 using the MARC
> record format.  So far, I have the following
> understanding/misunderstanding of the upgrade process---
>
> 1) There is currently no "dedicated" tool for data upgrade from 1.2.3
> to 2.0.

you're right.

> 2) The Z3950 tool in 2.0-pre is not yet operative, although some folks
> may have had some luck "tweaking" it.

the z3950 tool work for CATALOGUING. Not for external searches.

> 4) MARC records can be imported into Koha 2.0-pre using
> bulkmarcimport.pl, but this should not be used unless the books are
> actually available in the library.  Bulkmarcimport.pl does not import
> into the breeding farm.

you're right. To import into the breeding farm, go to parameters
section. Import option.

> 5) If I have a commercial CD full of MARC records, bulkmarcimport.pl
> will not work for the reason in #4.

same answer as in #4.

> 6) If I had a way of converting the old data to MARC format, I could
> import into 2.0 by using bulkmarkimport.pl

right.

> I am sure there is much I am missing here.  Any clarification would be
> most helpful, as I have the task of putting our Koha in good shape for
> the school  librarian to use.  So far, I have not yet figured out a
> clear way to proceed...

The migration tool from 1.2.3 to 2.0.0 will never be 100% automatic :
* run updatedatabase
* import MARC parameters table
* modify MARC parameters tables to fit your needs.
* run $koharoot/marc/updatedb2marc.pl script. This script is UNTESTED.
It should work in theory. but that's all. It fills MARC tables from
non-MARC (1.2 tables)

HTH

--
Paul POULAIN