[Koha] Very small library, low-end hardware

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Sep 3 21:46:06 NZST 2003

Rich Churcher wrote:

>1. What is the absolute, barest minimum hardware you would consider
>installing Koha on, given that the database is not likely to be very
>large?

I've installed Koha on a Celeron 600, with 192MB RAM & 20GB HD.
(server & client). The librarian finds it too slow. It's a problem with
Perl compiling i think.
I tried on a 350MHz PC (server only). It's unuseable : 5 seconds for
every page, minimum.

>2. Will most older barcode readers work with Linux + Koha?

Yes if your barcode is considered like a keyboard.

>3. How difficult is the conversion going to be from Catalist to Koha?
>Is there any kind of automated conversion (possibly via MARC), or would
>they be stuck re-scanning everything in their library?

via MARC / bulkmarcimport you should be able to migrate your datas.

>4. Are there any other primary schools in New Zealand running Koha who
>might be able to comment on the experience?

I dunno

--
Paul POULAIN