[Fwd: Re: [Koha] [Fwd: Fw: Much Assistance is Required.]]

rachel at katipo.co.nz rachel at katipo.co.nz
Mon Aug 25 19:04:29 NZST 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Koha] [Fwd: Fw: Much Assistance is Required.]
From: "Max Stam" <mstam at gsg.wa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, August 25, 2003 6:41 pm
To: <rachel at katipo.co.nz>

Gidday David
  I have just finished downloading the Koha ILS. I downloaded Apache and
MySQL (though I have Microsoft Access which is reputedly much better.
So, could I use that in lieu of MySQL?) and they appear to be
  functioning under normal parameters (red feather and green light).

MS Access is a good beginning Database. It will do fine for up to 25,000
items but after this it is seriously slow. I don't think, from what I've
read, Access is supported in any way by koha. Access is propriotry
software and the person who made the suggestion that it is better, is
but a one eyed Microsoft fan. It's easier to program but has major
limitations. (I can program Access but haven't a clue where to start on
MySQL yet)

You probably need to be at the DOS prompt for the setup. As for the rest
of your questions, sorry, Can't help yet,  I'm going to be moving down
the path of installing soon, but on a Linux server.

Regards
Max Stam