[Koha] Modifications in PHP?

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 10:34:52 NZST 2003

Owen Leonard <oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us> wrote:
> Top of my Perl+PHP wishlist:  Dynamic navigation which recognize which page
> you're on and build the appropriate menus.

I think I was told that such things would be possible with Apache 2,
but last I checked, there was a range of problems with using PHP as a
module still.  You also end up running two language interpreters for
each page, which might hurt performance.  Finally, the general quality
of PHP code seems to be a lot lower than Perl (and I'm often unimpressed
by some Perl programming stunts).

Longer term, I want to see koha interacting with other systems over a
nice API, which would make it "not too difficult" to build front-ends or
integrate it with other systems.  But, there's already nothing to stop one
from building a more changeable navigation system if one knows just enough
perl to be able to change the C4::Template module (I think... working from
memory rather than source code... bad me... I'm at home and just checked
email and this tickled me).  That's really not an awful lot of perl to
learn if you can already program in other imperative languages like BASIC.
The "perltut" and "perlboot" manual pages are a start, I think, but
maybe not the best one.  Perhaps people have URLs to throw into the wiki?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
Thought: Edwin A Abbott wrote about trouble with Windows in 1884