[Koha] Re: can koha calculate fines?

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Mon Jul 28 16:24:37 NZST 2003

Hi

> 1. I am using koha v1.2.3 on windows.The problem is can Koha calculate fines
>   if items on issue are overdue?When I return the borrower item which are
> overdue there is no fines or charges. As you said before, fines are worked out
> on the basis of borrower type and item type  and it is like a matrix. I don't
> understand..What do you mean 'like a matrix'.Can you explain more on that?

Yes Koha can calculate fines.  It works out what the fines should be based on
what sort of borrower it is, what sort of book it is and how overdue it is.

For example

borrower type = Staff - don't pay fines
Borrower type = adult, book type = fiction, days overdue = 7  = $1 fine
Borrower type = child, book type= Junior fiction, dayes overdue = 7 = 50c fine

So a fine is  a 3 way calculation of borrower types, book types and how overdue
it is.

For Horowhenua library we made a table of vaules which Koha looks up to set the
fine - rather than a simple calculation of say $0.20 per day per book.

If you have a simpler fine model you may prefer to get/do some programming that
reflects how your library works.

> 2. Can I change cardnumber default using our own member number which have 7
> characters for student and 4 characters for staff?

Yes and no.  Yes you can disable the checkdiget on cardnumbers and just enter
your own ones, but if you want a check diget then you will need to write code
to work with your particular numbers.

HTH

Cheers

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org