[Koha] import question

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri Jul 11 10:45:34 NZST 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:32:31PM -0400, Derek Dresser said:
> Quoting Dan Weeks <Dan at bibliofiche.com>:
>
> > FYI:
> >
> > Typicly 852a would hold a "homebranch" and 852b the "holdingbranch": this
> is
> > not always
> > consistant but never-the-less defined as part of he 852 holding structure.
> > Once you place
> > a barcode on a book you need no acsession number (which is what I assume
> you
> > mean by "Item
> > number"). The barcode IS the item number.
> Thanks Dan,
>
> actually, the itemnumber I am referring to is the koha items.itemnumber  It
> can't be NULL, nor can items.barcode. (I think) It seems like I could either
> make the items.itemnumber just a sequence of unique numbers, or I could make
> them the same as the barcode, but koha won't seem to let me map two koha
> fields to the same MARC subfield.  I could manually stick the data into the
> "items" table in the database, but I'm hoping to figure out the "right" way
> to do this during import so it will be useful for others.

Yep, thats right Derek.
itemnumber is the internal number koha uses. In case for some reason barcode
changes (eg the sticker falls off and a new one is put on or something).
But yes its just a unique number.
Starting a 1, and incrementing upwards would work fine.

The danger with manually sticking in the data, is it wouldnt get stored in the
MARC subfields.

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz