[Koha] import question

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Jul 9 18:20:03 NZST 2003

Chris Cormack wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:40:14PM -0400, Derek Dresser said:
>

>>Chris,
>>
>>This helps a lot.  Let me just make sure I have it.  A biblio is the general
>>information about a publication, a biblioitem is a type of incarnation of a
>>publication (book on tape, paperback, hardcover, first edition, etc.) and an
>>item is an actual thing that can be checked out that fits one of those types.
>>So you can obviously have multiple types, and then one or more instances of each
>>type.  That makes sense.  Thanks.
>>

>Yep thats it :)
>

>>Now, during the import process of a bunch of USMARC records using
>>bulkmarcimport.pl, should I expect my database to be populated with any items?
>>After doing it, it seems that I get biblios and biblioitems, but no actual
>>items.  Just for fun I created a test "item" that matched one of my biblios and
>>biblioitems, and then searched for it.  It worked great an I got all the
>>relevant info (bar code, etc).  However, it is the only item in my whole
>>database.  ;-(
>>

>Hmm, ill have to defer to the more MARC savvy people on the list. But yes id
>expect you to get at least as many items as you got biblioitems on the import.
>
>Paul ... any ideas?

Of course yes :-)
If you want import to put items into items table, you have to tell Koha
where are hidden your items in your MARC datas...
Let me explain :
Koha supports any MARC flavour. And each MARC flavour hides items in a
different place (for example in UNIMARC, it's 995. For NPL, that uses
MARC21, it's 952)
* Go to parameter section of Koha, MARC parameters tables.
* Search for the field where items are hidden (for example 947)
* Open subfields of field 947.
* "map" each 947 subfield to a items.something field.
* Put each subfield you've mapped to tab "items".
* run "checkmarc". If it reports no errors, you've win.
* import again, using delete flag to empty your database during the process.

Hope This Helps

Note : the main constraint is that all MARC subfields mapped to item
field MUST be in the same field (you can't have a part of an item into
947 & 2nd part in 935). If you have, then the only solution is to
"rewritte" your MARC data before importing. We have a problem with
itemtypes, that is not in items in Koha but seems to have it's place in
there, that's what we will speak during today IRC meeting.

--
Paul POULAIN