[Koha] [lambert@amigos.org: Webhosting & Koha]

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jul 4 21:11:28 NZST 2003

Chris Cormack wrote:

>We are using HostRocket as our webhosting server (www.hostrocket.com).
>They use Linux servers with Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl.  I have @1 GB of
>space.
>
>My questions are as follows:
>
>1.  Has anyone installed Koha on a webhosted server?

Yes. I did it. On a server, without root access.
A little bit tricky with .htaccess, but it works (demo.koha-fr.org)
Note it doesn't work at all on an openbrick (www.openbrick.org) => perl
compiling is tooo looonngg & Koha is unuseable. (openbrick is a very
small server, with a 300MHz proc. Mine has 256MB Ram & 20Gb HD, it's
only a proc problem)

>2.  Can the MARC records from the current system (III) be exported to Koha?
>(I saw something about one-at-a-time uploads, but is there a way to batch
>these, or do multiple uploads?)

probably. a script named bulkmarcimport should do the job.
Be sure, anyway you will have to tune your marc record & Koha marc
parameters table, even if you just need opac access.

>3.  If MARC records can be exported to Koha, can the upload program be
>modified to "overlay" duplicate MARC records?  (This is a unique project
>where we are ordering "replacements" and thus the MARC records are in the
>system, we would just need to import certain fields to update the current
>MARC record.)

the upload program has a -delete trigger that empty all tables before
uploading. but no option to "modify" a record.
Even if it was present, it wouldn't fasten access, as a "biblio modif"
in Koha means delete, then recreate (at least in the MARC record). It's
impossible to build an "intelligent" marc modifier. Or it would be more
complicated than delete+create !

>4.  Can Koha be modified?  The key example is that the Faculty want to be
>able to comment on certain books (e.g., "This book is extremely important
>to our collection," or "This book is worthless, do not order it!")

It's free software !
It means it can be modified to fit your need, and you're free to
redistribute your modifications. If you need more explanations about the
licence, please go to www.koha.org...

--
Paul POULAIN