[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jun 24 08:25:28 NZST 2003

I agree this would be much better on the devel list.

Paul, I have a tarball of your rpms that i will put up on sourceforge as
soon as I get a chance.

After work today probably.

Chris

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:09:10AM +1000, Paul Gear said:

> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I never have understood, and still don't understand, why people
> >>think typing 'rpm -Uvh packagename' is hard.
> >

> > Because you have to find packagename's rpm first.  Debian doesn't
> > normally need you to do that.
>
> (We probably should take this to a more appropriate forum...)
>
> Haven't we already covered this ground?  What do you do for software
> that's not part of the Debian project?  You have to go find it just
> like you do for RPMs.  Is Koha part of the Debian project yet?
> Evidently not:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=koha&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
>
> What do people do in the meantime?
>
> > [...]
> >
> >>What other way is there?  Users don't compile, users install.  The
> >>FreeBSD/Gentoo philosophy of making every end user a build engineer
> >>is ludicrous, in my opinion.  I started programming in C over 15
> >>years ago, but i am not the slightest bit interested in recompiling
> >>[...]
> >
> > Similarly, you're probably not the slightest bit interested in
> > whether it recompiles as you install it, so I've never understood
> > that argument.
>
> Yes, i am, actually.  I don't want time spent on doing work that's
> already been done.  There are also other good arguments for *not*
> recompiling the software on every system system its installed on -
> witness the recent GCC security advisory.  (I'm not sure why this is
> an issue for discussion, since Debian provides precompiled packages as
> well, doesn't it?)
>
> >>[...] So the software was not a good fit for my environment and i
> >>decided not to use it, because sticking with the distribution i know
> >>means saved time and headaches.
> >
> > Please learn useful standards like Linux Standard Base instead of a
> > particular distribution if you are a sysadmin.
>
> Every distribution has *something* different about it.  How is LSB
> going to help me know how to control the ethernet module assignments
> in modules.conf?
>
> (P.S.  Please let me be the judge of what's useful to me... :-)
>
> > [...]
> >
> >>next few weeks/months.  I think it might require some adjustments to
> >>the installer, but i'm sure the Koha team will be willing to accept
> >>patches.  :-)
> >

> > Please.  I'd appreciate you participating on koha-devel while doing
> > this.  I'll probably not be at this week's devel IRC meeting
> > (because I'm at the Birmingham Linux User Expo) but you can always
> > contact me otherwise.
>
> OK
>
> >>P.S.  Are my packages going to be put on sourceforge?  Don't i
> >>deserve my millisecond of glory?  :-)
> >
> > Have you GPG signed them?
>
> Have you looked at them?  :-)
>
> enoch:[/share/rpm/RPMS/noarch]rpm --checksig perl-*
> perl-Event-0.87-1.noarch.rpm: (sha1) dsa sha1 md5 gpg OK
> [...]

027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz