[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 04:00:07 NZST 2003

Paul Gear <paul at gear.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I never have understood, and still don't understand, why people think
> typing 'rpm -Uvh packagename' is hard.

Because you have to find packagename's rpm first.  Debian doesn't normally
need you to do that.

[...]
> What other way is there?  Users don't compile, users install.  The
> FreeBSD/Gentoo philosophy of making every end user a build engineer is
> ludicrous, in my opinion.  I started programming in C over 15 years
> ago, but i am not the slightest bit interested in recompiling [...]

Similarly, you're probably not the slightest bit interested in whether
it recompiles as you install it, so I've never understood that argument.

> [...] So the software was not a good fit for my
> environment and i decided not to use it, because sticking with the
> distribution i know means saved time and headaches.

Please learn useful standards like Linux Standard Base instead of a
particular distribution if you are a sysadmin.

[...]
> next few weeks/months.  I think it might require some adjustments to
> the installer, but i'm sure the Koha team will be willing to accept
> patches.  :-)

Please.  I'd appreciate you participating on koha-devel while doing this.
I'll probably not be at this week's devel IRC meeting (because I'm at the
Birmingham Linux User Expo) but you can always contact me otherwise.

> P.S.  Are my packages going to be put on sourceforge?  Don't i deserve
> my millisecond of glory?  :-)

Have you GPG signed them?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."