[Koha] ANNOUNCE: Koha perl dependency RPMs for Red Hat 9

Mike Hansen mwhansen at hmc.edu
Mon Jun 23 16:48:44 NZST 2003

Hello,

	Unlike the installation of many other open source programs, Koha requires more than merely copying a handful of files to their proper location.  The complexity of a Koha installation arises from the fact that the installer has ot configure a number of different programs and get them to work together -- not from including "silly pretty pictures."  It has to check for and install the required Perl modules, locate the Apache configuration, modify it to work with Koha, get information regarding the installation of MySQL, connect to the MySQL server, create the necessary database and associated tables, etc.  It is not the simplest of processes.  We are only able to personally test it out of a small number of configurations.  That being said, I have done 4 Koha installs on three different operating systems and ran into no difficulty using the installer.

	I do not recall you submitting any bug reports at http://bugs.koha.org regarding the installer.  The devlopers are unable to devine any problems or errors that you might run encounter.  We rely on the feedback from users to work out any bugs.  It is just as much of your responsibility as it is ours to help out with bugs.  If you require assistance with the installation, you are always free to message us or stop by the IRC channel; just this last week, I did a remote install via SSH.

	I do not know the required modules off the top of my head; however, a quick glance at Install.pm informs me that they consist of the following:
	DBI
	Date::Manip
	DBD::mysql
	HTML::Template