[Koha] More questions - another 2 cents worth

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Jun 18 21:49:42 NZST 2003

robweir at alum.drexel.edu wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback Chris. I would like to lobby for at least including
>the new fields in the 2.0 release even if we don't add any new features in
>code. I believe the 2.0 release is supposed to include scripts to convert
>v1.2.3 data and tables to 2.0. That involves quite a few structure changes.
>While doing that conversion, why not tweak the table structure at the same
>time to make it more flexible for call numbers?

Good news : the upgradedatabase script take care of this, independantly
from version change.
The problem for 1.2 => 2.0 is that after modifying the DB (that's done
by upgradedatabase), you have to create MARC datas from KohaDB
If we include LC in version 2.0.1, you will just have to launch
upgradedatabase script.

>I'm not so sure what we are proposing is going to require many if any new
>features in code. If those new fields were in place, I think I could do
>everything I want to get the library I'm supporting up and running on 2.0 by
>modifying or creating a new set of templates. I simply want to be able to
>enter and store four or five fields of call number information and then
>display that call number information to the opac user so they can find the
>resource on the shelves. I don't want to get too detailed here on the
>general list, but I've looked at the templates and think I can do both with
>some simple template changes. But the immediate problem is that I don't have
>the necessary fields to store my call number information. I have a library
>that wants to go live when 2.0 is released. I hope we don't have to wait for
>2.1.

We won't do it for 2.0.0
We should do it for 2.0.1.
There's no need to wait for 2.1/2.2.

REMINDER :
* 2.0.x will include *improvments*.
* 2.2.x will include *new* features. Like serials, of better stat module.
what you ask is an improvment for feature partially existing => in 2.0.x
tree imho.

--
Paul POULAIN