[Koha] Re: DDC and LC classification - 2 cents more

Stephen Hedges shedges at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Wed Jun 18 19:49:05 NZST 2003

Al is exactly right -- MARC has already solved this entire issue of breaking
down/storing call numbers, etc.  For MARC21, the 852 tag subfields $h, $i, $k,
$m, and $t cover this.  (I think UNIMARC's 852 tag is similar, but I don't
know.)

But Koha still has a problem, because it maps MARC data to the old Koha non-
MARC database, and most (all?) of the templates work from that old Koha
database.  So a library needs to be able to map each of those five subfields to
a unique column in a Koha table.  And the current tables can't handle that.

And then there's the whole issue of repeatable subfields . . .

Stephen