[Koha] Re: DDC and LC classification

Stephen Hedges shedges at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Wed Jun 18 10:22:17 NZST 2003

For starters, here's a good place to learn how Dewey Decimal Classification
(DDC) works:

http://www.oclc.org/oclc/fp/about/about_the_ddc.htm

If you look at this URL and the ones Rob sent, it looks like DDC always fits on
one line, while LC can run to as many as five lines.  That's true in a
theoretical world.  In the real world, libraries muck around and add other
stuff, to help the people who have to stick the books back on the shelves.

Here's an example.  The copy of The Chicago Manual of Style I have beside me
has the Library of Congress Cataloguing-in-Publication (CIP) data printed
inside the fly leaf.  It says that the "official" classifications are as
follows:

LC would be -
 Z253
 U69
 1993

DDC would be -
 808  or 808.027  or 808.0270973 if I'm really picky.

Looks like 3 lines for LC and 1 line for DDC.

But in practice, it's hard for humans to keep a long string of numbers straight
and in order when re-shelving books, so most libraries that use DDC do what my
library does -- add an extra line with the first two letters of the title or
the author's name under a _short_ Dewey number.  So the spine label on this
particular book reads:
 808
 Ch
instead of
 808.0270973

Now it gets really fun!  Many libraries also add stuff _before_ the Dewey
number, like AB for audiobooks or YA for young adult or J for juvenile or
junior.  (LC libraries sometimes do this, too.)  Yeah, they're really
categories and shouldn't be part of the call number.  But again, they help
humans find, retrieve, and replace stuff on library shelves.  Practice
supercedes theory once again!

But to get to the point, five lines should be quite enough for most purposes,
for either LC or DDC.  I'm sure someone will disagree, but any library that
thinks it has to have six lines probably needs some discipline!

Stephen Hedges
(Nelsonville Public Library)