[Koha] More questions - another 2 cents worth

robweir at alum.drexel.edu robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Wed Jun 18 11:11:59 NZST 2003

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I would like to lobby for at least including
the new fields in the 2.0 release even if we don't add any new features in
code. I believe the 2.0 release is supposed to include scripts to convert
v1.2.3 data and tables to 2.0. That involves quite a few structure changes.
While doing that conversion, why not tweak the table structure at the same
time to make it more flexible for call numbers?

I'm not so sure what we are proposing is going to require many if any new
features in code. If those new fields were in place, I think I could do
everything I want to get the library I'm supporting up and running on 2.0 by
modifying or creating a new set of templates. I simply want to be able to
enter and store four or five fields of call number information and then
display that call number information to the opac user so they can find the
resource on the shelves. I don't want to get too detailed here on the
general list, but I've looked at the templates and think I can do both with
some simple template changes. But the immediate problem is that I don't have
the necessary fields to store my call number information. I have a library
that wants to go live when 2.0 is released. I hope we don't have to wait for
2.1.

Your suggestion for a wiki page is probably a good idea. If we did that and
if everyone that is interested in better support for call numbers could
agree on a plan for what fields are needed in the next couple weeks, do you
think we could get that included in the 2.0 release (without adding any new
features in code)?

Rob