[Koha] More questions - another 2 cents worth

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 18:20:07 NZST 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:44:31PM -0500, baljkas at mb.sympatico.ca said:
> Monday, June 16, 2003	 12:40 CDT
>
> Greetings, all!
>
> I don't know if it's possible, but perhaps until the developers can create
> a classification field that uses ANY system/s the users need, it might be
> useful to have stop-gap 'DDC' and 'LC' versions of Koha. Ed is dead-on in
> noting that LC is really the standard for scientific libraries. I
> interviewed on one that insisted in using Dewey a few years ago: most of
> the call numbers were 20 digits. Not fun to try to use or communicate to
> users.

We do have an lccn field in the koha database. And you can load data into
it, its currently not displaying or searchable yet though. This is a
templating issue, im sure we could change it quite fast.

> P.S. To be honest, I've also thought that it would be good to have MARC21
> and UNIMARC versions as well; might simplify some mapping problems interim.

In the 1.9.x (soon to be 2.0) tree, MARC21 and UNIMARC are fully supported,
so using the MARC search u can search LC with it.
Its just the old search interface that would need tweaking to allow LC
searching.

I hope this makes sense, (im currently on the other side of the world from
home, and slightly sleep deprived so i wouldnt be suprised if it doesnt :-))

Chris
027 4500 789                                       Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz