[Koha] Introduction and qustions

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Fri May 16 03:54:38 NZST 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Andrew Koebrick wrote:

> Greetings,

Hi Andrew,

> I am attempting to migrate a @10,000 item catalog into Koha 1.9.2 and
> would greatly appreciate a little help.

I'm CC:ing this to the koha-devel list ... you're more likely to get
answers to technical questions about 1.9.2 there.

> This migration is neccessary due to budget cuts here in Minnesota.  Our
> state agency library was "cut" (i.e. no funding for our previous catalog
> system, PALS; our full time librarian layed off; books to be distributed
> to work teams).  Rather than just throw out what was a quality catalog,
> my plan is to load the records into Koha and attempt to maintain basic
> collection management on the subset of books kept.
>
> I have a fair amout of Library/Perl/Mysql/Apache experience (I moved
> from Agency librarian to Web Coordinator/Developer a few years back:
> www.mnplan.state.mn.us) and hope to reach a point where I understand
> Koha well enough to contribue code.

It sounds like you'll be able to start contributing fairly quickly.

> But first I have to get up and running...

I've not worked enough with 1.9.2 to help with this, so I'll leave these
to some of the other developers to help with.

> As a test I have uploaded a collection of MARC records to the breeding
> farm (the LOC MarcMaker/Breaker test files).  It notes that 8 records
> were successfully uploaded.  However, I am not able to get them into the
> catalog either by ISBN or title.  Is this feature functional yet?
>
> When I click on " Add biblio without ISBN/ISSN" I get a list of the
> numbers 1-10.  Clicking on all available links appear to do nothing.
> What should this page do/display?
>
> Has anyone tweeked bulkmarcimport.pl yet for the 1.9 series?  Or are
> the tables structures betwen the 1.2 and 1.9 series different enought
> that the most efficient way to proceed with mass import would be to
> create a new script based around the NEWnewbibilio() function?
>
> Finally, if Koha 2.0 would solve any/many of these issues I can wait.
> Is there an estimated data of release?

Koha 2.0.0 should solve most/all of your problems ... we don't have a firm
release date for it yet, but we certainly do have a lot of motivation to
get it out the door quickly.  There are 81 bug reports left in the queue
(thought more might be added if we find them along the way), most of those
need to be closed before 2.0.0 goes out the door.  (I'll leave the
divination of a release date to Paul, the 2.0 release manager.)

I do expect 1.9.3 to be released next week, and this should help smooth
out some of your issues.

> Thank you for any assistance in adopting Koha.

Thanks for getting involved.  Welcome to the team,
-pate