[Koha] Open Source or Free Software?

Erik Stainsby erik.stainsby at modern-alchemy.net
Sat Apr 19 06:06:28 NZST 2003

Perhaps it would be useful to adopt the practice of describing Koha as
"Free and Open Software".  So often patterns of thinking follows from
trends in common practice.  This is particularly true of institutional
contexts where the catch-phrase becomes the rallying point for
management's understanding of an issue/topic.  (This is not meant to
denigrate managers, but to describe one of the human species' defensive
practices when faced with information overload.)

- Erik

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 17:03, Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> Hi All:
> Koha is often referred to as an "open source" project (definition at http://www.opensource.org/osd.html. Do we also characterize it as "free software" (definition at http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)?  I know that in practice, nearly all software meeting one definition also meets the other, I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the distinction.
> To my mind, there are advantages to both terms.  "Open source" is more widely known (at least around here) and expresses the "openness" of the code.  "Free software" (as in free speech) comes closer to the library concept of free access to information; it also (conveniently) covers the monetary aspect of things (after all, the software is available at no cost).
> Joshua

Erik Stainsby

Modern Alchemy
Better Libraries. By Design.