[Koha] Assistance with configuring MARC relations...

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Sat Feb 8 03:35:20 NZDT 2003

Patrick Logan wrote:

> I've been able to install version 1.90 of Koha, but after checking my
> MARC structure I received the following message from Koha:
>

> ======================
>

> itemnum                                    The field itemnum MUST be
> mapped
>
>                                                 The correspounding
> subfield MUST be in with -1 (ignore) tab
>

>                                                 the items.homebranch
> field MUST :
>
> homebranch NOT mapped          be mapped to a MARC subfield,
>
>                                                 the correspounding
> subfield MUST have authorised value=branches
>

>                                                 the
> items.holdingbranch field MUST :
>
> holdingbranch NOT mapped        be mapped to a MARC subfield,
>
>                                                 the correspounding
> subfield MUST have authorised value=branches
>

> TOTAL You have 3 error(s) in your MARC configuration. Please fix them
> before using koha
>

> =======================

That's a known "problem". The MARC21 parameter are filled, but some
"links" or "mapping" are NOT done at the moment.
And i'm not a librarian neither a MARC21 user and can't do them.
The 1st person that does them can send me the right structure and it
will be included in koha 1.9.1

How to solve this :
In koha, you have 2 parallel "databases". The 1st being the marc one,
the second being the non-marc.
To be able to manage any flavour of MARC, we have a "generic" MARC
structure. That stores juste fields-subfields and values.
But the MARC-DB don't know what MEAN the fields-subfields.
So you must "link" some marc subfields to "meaningful" fields from the
non-MARC DB to ensure a good behaviour of koha.

itemnum : it's a field in items table. It must be mapped to a MARC21
subfield (probably in 995 : the items subfield) and is managed
internaly, so MUST be invisible (tab -1)
homebranch and holdingbranch are in biblioitems table and must be mapped
to something in MARC21 too.
To map a field :
* koha
* Parameters
* MARC tag structure and Links koha - MARC-DB

When it's done "Checks MARC" will check your config and report problem.

--
Paul POULAIN