[Koha] some thoughts about cataloguing and acquisition (important)

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Jan 21 10:42:25 NZDT 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:31:13PM -0800, Enrico Silterra said:
> Hello
> I have to agree with Albert on this:
> MARC is simply so widespread that, even if you
> think you don't want MARC, you will later discover
> that
> you must have it.
>
> I certainly don't know the underlying data structures
> of
> koha, but the simplest thing, to me, seems to be,
> maintaining fundamentally MARC based info, which can
> have simple, or full interfaces.

Hi Guys

We may have gone a little of track here :-)
There is no suggestion that Koha should not support MARC, and in the
development branch, (what will become 2.0) MARC is already supported.

IE you can import from MARC, view a record as MARC and export it again as
MARC, for various flavours of MARC.

All im seeking to achieve is for those who dont want to see their data as
MARC records, they dont have to :-)
Underlying storage doesnt really worry me, as long as its 1/ Fast, and 2/
Complete.

And as long as the API for dealing with the data is well defined and tested,
so as to ensure integrity. I really dont mind at all how its stored.

I hope that clears up where im coming from.

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz