[Koha] MySQL and foreign keys

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jan 17 04:37:02 NZDT 2003

Joshua Brindle a écrit:

> This goes along with my other email about modularizing authentication.
> My feeling is that most of koha is sort of embedded, like auth the
> storage should be modularized, like this
> there should be a wrapper with default methods that do something a
> default way, one of those would be search. the mysql search would use
> mysql features (ie: full text search), a postgres search would do
> whatever they do. basically you'd have custom queries for each DBM
> since each method that does the querying would be DBM specific. Only
> the parent class would hold static variables and things that would be
> consistant across all the DBM's. If done this way storage is trivial,
> one could store everything in flat text files if they wanted!.
> I must emphasize that this is the *correct* way to program things like
> this, and if we (my university) decides to use Koha I will certainly
> help wherever i can.

That's it, i have understood what you meaned yesterday, with this mail.
There is an important thing you must know :
koha IS NOT OBJECT ORIENTED developped.
We spoke about this a few months agos, and agreed :
* it was a shame
* it was to hard to change this at the moment.

In fact, most scripts work like this :
* decode the cgi parameters
* open template
* depending from the parameters do something
* retrieve data for next screen
* send html

and there is no object here. It's standard programming.

The only object we have is the C4::Context, which has been developped by
Andrews a few months ago.

Note however, that all the sql code is in C4 packages, so, it's a kind
of "modularization" :-)

--
Paul POULAIN