[Koha] Set up Fines/Charges?

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri Dec 13 10:02:47 NZDT 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:37:23PM -0600, Jeff Alt said:
> I just completed installing Koha on an E-Smith 5.5 Server.   I am trying to figure out how/where to set fines and how it will calculate them.
>
> I would also like to know how to set a the default due period.

Hi Jeff

Which version of Koha did you install? 1.2.2 ?
It should actually matter I dont think, as long as it is 1.2.2 or newer.
If you go to the parameters section (off the front page of the intranet)
There there is a link to modify Itemtypes.
Following that link you end up at a url thats something like
htto://yoursitename/cgi-bin/koha/admin/itemtypes.pl

This is where you can set the default loan period (measured in days currently)
And the charge. If there is a charge for borrowing items of that type.

Now unfortunately we havent finished the webbased tool for modifying how
overdues work.

This is calculated by koha by using the categoryitem table. Which is a
matrix of borrower category vs itemtype
This is so you can apply rules for certain types of borrowers for certain
types of items.
IE
Staff may not be charge for overdues, or they may be allowed to borrow items
free of charge. So this table can overrule the defaults set in itemtypes.

Heres an example from the HLT set up
+--------------+----------+----------------+----------------+---------------+----------+-------------+--------------+-------------+------------+
| categorycode | itemtype | restrictedtype | rentaldiscount | reservecharge
| fine     | firstremind | chargeperiod | accountsent | chargename |
+--------------+----------+----------------+----------------+---------------+----------+-------------+--------------+-------------+------------+
| W            | PPB      |           NULL |     100.000000 |          NULL
| 0.000000 |
    7 |            7 |          28 | NULL       |

This says borrowers of type W (Workers = Staff) borrowing items of type PPB
(Pay Paper Backs) have a 100% rental discount (IE its free), there is no
charge to them to reserve it.
No fine to them if it is overdue, but they do get overdue reminders, the
first being at 7 days, the final being at 28

I hope this is some help

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz