[Koha] See and See Also References in Koha

Tonnesen Steve tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca
Sat Nov 2 10:05:52 NZDT 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Larry Currie wrote:

> We are one of the libraries in the U.S. that are keenly interested in
> the development of Koha versions 1.3.x and 1.4 as a replacement for our
> current automation system, and we are working closely with Ron
> Wickersham in Santa Rosa, CA on this.  But one of the features our
> current system has that is very important is the ability to have "see"
> references and "see also" references in the catalog that result from
> subject and name authority work done by our cataloguers and by the
> Library of Congress.  Has any thought been given on the developers list
> to having this ability in Koha?

Can you explain what this functionality does?  I'm guessing that it ties
one subject heading to one or more other subject headings.  A "SEE"
reference would tell the user to look at the reference instead of this
heading (implying that this heading shows nothing?), and a "SEE ALSO"
would tell the user to look at the reference in addition to this heading.

What else are these "SEE" and "SEE ALSO" references used for, besides
subject headings?  Are they stored in a MARC record somewhere, and, if so,
where?

Steve.