[Koha] Koha installation

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Oct 8 00:45:29 NZDT 2002

Sarah Jordan wrote:

>The computer will be dedicated to the catalogue, so I
>was planning to ditch Windows and install Linux
>instead. I have another basic question - is Linux,
>Perl, My SQL etc installation a big deal? I have not
>succeeded in getting this stuff to work on my home
>machine - but cannot get rid of windows and needed to
>partition etc. That should not be an issue for the
>library.
>
>Thanks for your quick response, Sarah.

If your computer is a recent one, it should be easy. I work with
Mandrake, and never had big problems installing it (mostly mouse clics
!) on recent PC (less than 2 years).
When installing mandrake, you can (must for koha) add perl and mysql
packages, which is more long than hard if you don't know where to
search. You should do a "expert" installation, and choose packages
individually.
Still on mandrake, you can now resize windows partitions, thus
installing linux and keeping perl on your home machine.

Hope This Helps

<mode add on>
GNU/Linux Mandrake 9.0 is really a nice distro
<mode add off>

Note : be careful to answer on the list, not on private mailboxes only
--
Paul