[Koha] Re: Library Management Software

Rosalie Blake rosalie at library.org.nz
Tue Sep 17 10:50:46 NZST 2002

Hello Erol,
I am glad you have found Koha (the word means "gift" in Maori). It
is very suitable for using in a school. It is absolutely free to
download and to use, and all the software you need to run it is also
free to download and use.
But there is a down side. While it is very easy and intuitive to use, it
is not simple for a non-technical person to set up and install. If there
is a parent, or someone you know, who has a knowledge of Linux
and Perl, that would be a big help.

There are two things you should do right now:
1.	join the koha list,  (http://koha.org/mailing/)
and
2.	ask everyone you know if they know anything about open
source software, especially Linux and Perl, and if they are willing to
help you install it.

I am sending a copy of my reply to the koha list. If you manage to
find someone to help you install, you (or the person who is helping
you) should also join the koha developers list.

Good Luck
Rosalie Blake
Horowhenua Library Trust