[Koha] Translation into German

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Fri Aug 16 03:33:31 NZST 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Sebastian Krieg wrote:

> Hi Koha-list,
>
> I am from Germany and I want use Koha in a little library with over 6,000
> media.  That's why, I want translate Koha into German.

Guten Tag Sebastien,
Herr Dorian Meid is also interested in translating Koha into German.  The
two of you may want to coordinate your efforts (isn't Free Software
wonderful).

> Who can tell me, what's essential during translation. How can I translate the
> images?

I think that this question comes up often enough that we should write a
document to cover it.  In any event, I think that there ae three things
which need to be done to help translate koha into another language.

1)  There are a number of promotional materials which should be
translated, these include the Koha story, the 'From the Kaitiaki' emails
(of which I missed last weeks ... sorry everyone), and the Koha website.
As these are translated (and new materials generated), the create an
avenue for building interest in Koha in a language/country/region.
Building up this interest will allow collaborations (like that mentioned
above) to occur, and make Koha a more viable solution.

2)  The supporting documentation (the README and the Koha manual) should
also be translated.  It is very important to get the best possible
information about installing, maintaining, and using Koha into the hands
of its intended audience.

3)  The User Interface itself also needs to be translated.  At the moment,
this means translating the templates and the images.  I believe that
Katipo has offered to make the images available to translators in both
Photoshop and/or Gimp native file formats.  It would certainly be possible
to create your own images using the Gimp (or another tool) if you so
desired.  The templates could be modified (or rewritten completely) with
any text editor.  (The templates are not yet fully integrated ... but this
work is proceeding quickly.)

Good Luck,
-pate