[Koha] Library of congress call/control numbers

Pat Eyler pate at eylerfamily.org
Thu Jul 25 10:15:35 NZST 2002

On 24 Jul 2002, Daniel Holth wrote:

[tech stuff elided]

> On a side note, my local library has switched twice to increasingly
> inferior OPACs.  The first one was very usable to my UNIX-trained mind -
> text based w/dumb terminals, special keys on the keyboard for search,
> prev, next, very fast and clean and accessable via modem.  Then they
> switched to a client/server GUI that opens with a picture of a library -
> almost no text - so that it wasn't immediately clear where to click to
> search for a book.  Now they have an ugly web based system that runs on
> a precious few 60Hz screens in the library.

This is tied to a market driven perception that web/GUI is 'the only way',
and that Command Line Interfaces are bad.  In fact, most power users of
applications like library systems (e.g., order entry) find that the GUI
gets in the way.  A solid terminal oriented interface (perhaps with some
short cuts) serves there needs far better.

> My alma mater's system, cat.stetson.edu, is slightly better but it's dog
> slow.  I feel like my libraries are locking down their collection by
> making it unpleasant to find things!

This seems to be the feeling that many librarians have about using GUI
tools, at least in my informal discussions.

> Is it typical for libraries to switch to increasingly inferior systems?
> Ignoring koha, are there any truly excellent OPAC systems out there?

I think that most of the new generation of tools are sadly lacking
compared to the older ones (from an OPAC perspective).  They look
prettier, but cost a lot more too.

This is really an area where Koha can make up some ground.  By focusing on
solid, fast interfaces, providing a CLI for librarians, and then starting
to innovate in terms of search tools (maybe 'Other patrons interested in
this titles also checked out foo.', or 'Sort subject search results by
Patron reviews?' to toss out a couple of ideas) Koha can provide a top
flight library system that libraries will want to use for reasons beyond
the financial.

-pate