[Koha] Database description

Owen Leonard oleonard at athenscounty.lib.oh.us
Wed Jul 24 09:42:07 NZST 2002

				> Chris and I converted all the data for Horowhenua when we were developing
> Koha.  Their previous system was an A/Rev system called Catalist.  I created
> delimited files from that, and Chris and I imported them.  It needed some
> massaging to make it fit, but we managed to do it several times during the
> course of the change-over.

We're trying to figure out what our methodology should be.  We'll be moving
from a Pick database (Unidata), which seems pretty arcane to us.  We'll be
working with a consultant who knows Pick, but we're trying to get a good handle
on the process before he comes in.

The biggest task for us seems to be to analyze the current database and see how
its structure matches up with Koha's database.  With around 200,000 items in
the collection, the "massaging" stage sounds pretty daunting.

What kind of database tools did the original system offer you?  Were there
existing functions for exporting data in a format you could import to MySQL?

    -- Owen