[Koha] Re: user comments

Ed Haskell ejm at chartermi.net
Sat May 4 10:50:04 NZST 2002

The issue with USA libraries, I would think, will revolve around keeping a
history of the patrons' borrowings. Retaining info on who had the material
last for, say, 48 hours to allow for discovering damage, etc., doesn't seem
to me to be a problem. This could be easily implemented using the techniques
discussed in this thread by simply adjusting the timing of the anonymize
function.

On a separate part of this thread: the possibility that a  court could order
a library to turn the history function on for a user or users--- that problem
exists now for all automation systems. The fact that it is impossible or
impractical for most of them would not in any way dissuade a US court from
issuing an order that usage must be tracked. The thing most US librarians are
concerned about is the possibility of being ordered to turn over information
that has already been collected without a patron's knowledge. I think the
techniques we are discussing here allow for handling that concern.

Ed Haskell
Rochester Public Library Board of Trustees