[Koha] Re: user comments

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Fri May 3 17:48:27 NZST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:38:02PM -0700, Emile Snyder said:
> On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:00:04PM +1200, Chris Cormack wrote:
>
> > The only way to not keep it, would be to delete an issue record when an item
> > is returned. Which would involve a big drop in functionality in koha. IE you
> > couldnt run any kind of reports over what items where issues where in a give
> > date period, or how many items where issued in branch such and such in the
> > last month say..
>
> You could remove the information about which patron it had been issued to
> for the given period (once the item was returned), while retaining the rest
> of the "issued" record.  Perhaps by overwriting the patron id in the record
> with the id of an "anonymous" patron record.

Good idea :)

Then of course you couldnt see if it was more popular with children or
adults, or more often borrowed by institions or normal borrowers etc.

But this might be a small price to pay if there is danger of you being
forced to reveal the data. I remember just recently actually a bookstore
somewhere in the US refused to reveal a patrons purchase record. Cant recall
specifics but it was on slashdot.org. So I can see how its a legitimate
concern that someone may demand it.

That might be a good configuration option. Anonymise issue records (course
youd have to wait till the item is returned *grin*)

Interesting discussion, and one i must admit I hadnt even considered.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz