[Koha] Searching: Subject V Class

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Fri Apr 26 10:47:11 NZST 2002

HI

> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 07:44:51AM +1000, Roger Buck said:
> > > From my tests, I think that the "Subject" search will not return a
> > > result unless you type in a known subject name. If that is correct then it
> > > is (IMHO) not very useful for casual users (as they would not know what
> > > subject names are valid)?

Actually that is correct too - having tried to search for something that it was
highly unlikely that HLT has as a subject you get no results.  So perhaps at
this point we need an error message that has an option to "Click for subject
lists" - so that on smaller systems you get to see the list, but on bigger ones
you're not waiting an hour for it?

> > > If this is correct, then mabe the web interface fo "subject" search
> > > should change  - maybe a select list such as currently done for "Class"
> > > search?

However my explanation of how it works and why you don't want a drop down
list still stands :-)

> > I think youve spotted a bug, something in the recent past that has been
> > changed must have broken this.

I don't think this is a bug - as in I don't recall us having anything that
happened when you didn't find a subject?

> > Yep, it appears to be broken on hlt.katipo.co.nz .. but the live system
> > running at HLT is working. So ill go see whats broken in the cvs version and
> > fix it.

> Well, Rachel had just convinced me that this was due to a limitation of
> my test system - I must say she had me convinced... She's now a
> candidate for a job with Microsoft perhaps <big grin>

It's a feature I tell you :-)

Cheers

Rachel Hamilton-Williams             Katipo Communications
WEBMISTRESS                          ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz           PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz              New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org