[Koha] Library card numbers, branch entry

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Apr 2 09:54:26 NZST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 08:10:36PM +1000, Roger Buck said:

> OK - I think I understand what check digits are for:
>
> Check digits are numbers that are based on a mathematical formula
> devised to help detect typical data entry errors... or something like
> that :^)
>
> When Using Check Digits with koha:

Brief history of cardnumbers and koha
Horowhenua Libraries get their cards with a barcode and a number on them.
The number conforms to the checkdigit routine.
So koha didnt need to generate cardnumbers. It just needed to check that the
number entered conformed to the checkdigit routine.

> Q0: What is the easiest way to allocate new koha library card numbers?

Probably make a little routine that generates numbers that fits that
checkdigit.
But what is more pertinent I guess is how to change the checkdigit routine
so it fits your existing numbering scheme.
At the momment the there is no easy way. Apart from hacking at the perl.

> Q1: Is there a Check Digit "standard" that is generally used for library
> card numbers?

I dont know, ill leave this for someone more knowledgable to answer.

> Q2: Is there a list of card numbers suitable for use with Koha?

Nope, but i guess i could write something that would generate a list. As i
said the checkdigit routine should be abstracted out though i think.

> Q3: Is there a script that can be used with koha to generate a new
> number on the fly when creating new members

There could be

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz