[Koha] Koha for my daughter's primary school?

Mark Hatherly googoo at cosmos.net.au
Mon Mar 11 22:43:20 NZDT 2002

Hi, I'm new to this list and to Koha. My daughter's primary school
needs/wants an automated library management system, both hardware and
software. The school has very little money. I found Koha on Google the other
night, and it seems right to me. I am going to suggest to the school that I
set up Koha using a couple of recycled machines running Debian, and
hopefully get the library automated for (a good deal) less than a grand. I'm
currently speccing the system, and I have a few questions :). (I have had a
look around your archives, and the site). Firstly, is there a Debian
package? Someone was talking about it last year, but I can't see what
happened next. Secondly, the FAQ says the more RAM the merrier (naturally).
Would 256 mb be ok on a machine serving one client, with a db of about 3000
books? My primary motivations are cost-management and user acceptance, so
reasonably fast performance must be weighed against the cost and
availability of second-hand machines with more than 256 Ram. Thirdly, is
Koha *easy* for me to install, set up, and administer? I have no idea about
library management, nor do I know what OPAC stands for, etc. But I do know
Debian, and databases, and networking...The school has a card-based system,
and the librarian is a part-timer who is not tech literate at all. So an
honest assessment of whether Koha is appropriate in this situation would be
very much appreciated. (I hope the answer is a strong "yes!") May I finish
by congratulating you on your effort.

Mark H
Melbourne, Australia

PS I don't have a Linux machine set up at the moment, otherwise I'd download
Koha and have a look around.