[Koha] Frequently Asked Questions

Ben Ostrowsky ostrowb at tblc.org
Thu Nov 8 03:23:08 NZDT 2001

> What language are the words Koha, Horowhenua and Katipo in?
>   They are in the Maori language, the language of the people native to New
> Zealand.

Not a FAQ, but perhaps worth adding:

If you are serving a community where Spanish is spoken, you may want to
use a different name to refer to the software.  The reason for this is
that the Maori word "Koha" (gift) sounds like the Spanish word "coja"
(cripple).

And perhaps this would be a good starting point for another Q:

Q: What other software do I need to run Koha?

A: The recommended configuration includes Apache
(http://httpd.apache.org/), Perl (http://www.perl.com/), MySQL
(http://www.mysql.com/), and the following Perl modules: Date::Manip,
DBI, and DBD::mysql.

[FIXME: I seem to recall some case-sensitive module names.  Check  ]
[FIXME: to be sure these are spelled correctly.                    ]

Upcoming releases of Koha will probably use the Net::Z39.50 Perl module
and YAZ (http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/) to allow Z39.50 searching in
Acquisitions.

[FIXME: when Z39.50 is in the latest release, change the above wording.]

You may also want to use the AuthenDBI Perl module for database-based
authentication, and/or the CDK Perl module for an optional telnet
interface.  The CDK Perl module depends on the C CDK libraries
(http://www.vexus.ca/CDK.html).

Koha would probably work with other web servers and databases, with the
appropriate Perl module(s).  If you test this, please send a note to the
koha-devel list [FIXME: pointer to the list] and let us know what's
needed to make koha work under your configuration.