FW: [Koha] Re: marc and stuff!

jmulford at legionaries.org jmulford at legionaries.org
Sat May 26 05:19:26 NZST 2001

Friends,

Greetings from Rome, Italy! This is my first post to the list. I'm a member
of a consortium of 16 Universities in Rome with all our libraries containing
a little over 2,000,000 volumes. Most have been using Aleph300 for the past
10 years and are seriously considering switching to AMICUS (used by British
Library, Australian & Canadian National Systems, etc.) but I recently came
across the Koha Proyect and have been impressed.

Have you had any other requests from Italy? How about Spain or Mexico where
we have other campuses? If I can get support from our programmers here,
maybe we could help to port the program into Italian. Nevertheless, we would
definitely need MARC and z39.50 support to win over the full consortium of
libraries. With a little support, we might even be able to help you develop
those modules, but I need to know what it might entail or if work has
already been done on it.

I spent a few hours reading ALL the past mailing list postings and see some
interesting things developing. I did see several references to MARC.pm and
z39.50 but they seemed merely as comments and no commitment from anyone on
the list or beyond.

O.K. Make my day (or maybe night in N.Z.) and tell me that MARC and z39.50
standards are on the (near) future wish list. I would just LOVE for our
university (www.upra.org) to spearhead this project here in Italy but need
some help from our friends down under.

P.S.: I'm not a programmer just a hacker and admirer of things Linux, but I
do sign the checks of our programmers, so I guess that helps.

James Mulford
Director of Finance & Development
Regina Apostolorum University
Rome, Italy